Transportation & Infrastructure
As more and more companies move to Frederick, residents are able to work near where they live. Without rush-hour gridlock, employees arrive on time, ready for a productive day.
Two interstates and other key highways converge here and shift smoothly into one of the best transportation networks in the east. Both Washington, D.C., and Baltimore are within an hour's drive. Employers in Frederick say that the connectivity to Washington and Baltimore is a significant competitive advantage without the hassle of rush-hour traffic congestion.
The Port of Baltimore, which lies farther inland than any other Atlantic seaport, provides economical access for domestic and foreign trade. Equally accessible are three major airports that offer flights to virtually every international and national market.
Highways and Interstates
Frederick County is served by Interstates 70 and 270. The county is also fortunate to have an extensive state road system that runs throughout.
Chart a course to anywhere in the world via three international airports within 45 minutes of Frederick County.
- Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport(BWI)
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)
Frederick Municipal Airport (FDK)
Frederick Municipal Airport has been designated by the FAA as a General Aviation Reliever Airport for Ronald Reagan National, Baltimore-Washington International and Washington Dulles International Airports. Conveniently located at the intersection of Route I-70 and Route I-270, Frederick Municipal Airport is the third busiest airport in Maryland, handling over 156,000 aircraft operations annually and provides business and corporate air services in addition to the availability of flight service on-demand.
- ILS, VOR and GPS approaches
- Control Tower and Class D Airspace
- Full service FBO, Jet A available 0700L-2000L daily, Self Serve 100 LL Avgas available 24 hours
- Runway 5/23 5,819’ x 100’ grooved asphalt
- Runway 12/30 3,600’ x 75’
- Comprehensive services available including major airframe and powerplant repair facilities, helicopter and fixed wing flight schools, cirrus aircraft sales, helicopter and jet charter, and car rental
- Build-to-Suit Development Opportunities
Local Public Transportation and Commuter Services
Frederick County TransIT provides public transit, paratransit and commuter services/employer outreach information throughout Frederick County, serving medical, employment, education and shopping centers.