April 23-29 is National Library Week, and it’s the perfect excuse to celebrate this great resource we have in Frederick County. Frederick County Public Libraries (FCPL) include branches in Brunswick, Emmitsburg, Frederick, Middletown, Myersville, Point of Rocks, Thurmont, Urbana and Walkersville. Not only do our community libraries provide book lending, and computer access, but they also offer a number of resources including audiobook and movie downloads, magazines and comic books, and a variety of programming for all ages. You can also access facility features such as study areas and meeting room rentals.
Here are some additional features at FCPL you might not know about:
- Hot Spot & Laptop Kits - Laptop and Hotspot Kits are provided by a partnership between Frederick County Workforce Services and Frederick County Public Libraries. The kits provide a Dell Precision 3560 laptop and a Mobile Beacon 4G LTE hotspot on T-mobile's network so you can apply for jobs, study, or research from anywhere. The devices offer lightning-fast connections with key software already loaded.
- Passport Services - Available at the C. Burr Artz Public Library. No appointment is necessary. Applicants are seen on a first come, first served basis, and must have properly completed paperwork verified by staff before their name can be added to the wait list. Please plan for wait time.
- Notary Services - Notary Services are free for customers with an FCPL library card, and are available at the Brunswick, Thurmont, and Walkersville Branches.
- Genealogy Resources like Ancestry Library Edition - Access to several thousand records databases, including the U.S. Federal Census, and the Social Security Death Index. International in scope. In-Library use from public computer stations only.
- Free Transportation to the library - With the Ride United program from United Way of Frederick County, riders may access the following libraries: Brunswick, Point of Rocks, Thurmont, Emmitsburg, Myersville, Middletown, and Urbana. Use of Transit is encouraged to visit C. Burr Artz and Walkersville libraries located on public transit routes.
You can find more information on Frederick County Public Libraries, including the hours for each branch, on their website: https://www.fcpl.org. Library cards are easy to obtain and are free to anyone who lives or works in Maryland. Find out to get yours here: https://www.fcpl.org/library-cards.