The 2019 Frederick Real Estate Dealmaker – or FRED Awards – are right around the corner. Now in its 3rd year, OED hosts the FRED Awards to recognize and celebrate the commercial real estate industry deals and transactions made in 2018 that have made significant impacts on Frederick County’s economy.
Nominations were collected for six categories including Deal of the Year, Most Creative Deal, Modern Masterpiece, Broker of the Year, Emerging Dealmaker of the Year and Lifetime Achievement Award. In order to be eligible the project the commercial real estate deals must have been launched, underway or completed in 2018. All the projects must have made a significant impact on Frederick’s economy.
Award winners will be announced on April 11, 2019 during the FRED Awards, with more than 100 professionals from Frederick County’s commercial real estate, design and construction industry gathered to celebrate.
In anticipation of the awards ceremony, OED announces finalists in 3 of the categories – Most Creative Deal, Modern Masterpiece, and Broker of the Year:
The Most Creative Deal Award is given to a project that had to think out of the box to get a tenant in their space. The team must have demonstrated creativity, perseverance, ingenuity and flexibility from the broker and landlord. The finalists are:
- Crucible Performance project located at 5330 Spectrum Drive, Suite A. This project involved converting an old lab and data space into an athletic performance facility with a full batting cage.
- Microbiology International Project located at 5350 Partners Court. This facility was used by one manufacturer in the past and was sold to Microbiology International who occupies space and is converting the additional space into lab space for multiple biotech companies.
- Wilcoxon Sensing Technologies and New Tenant project located at 8435 Progress Drive. This project involved converting the former Wells Fargo office space into a high-tech manufacturing facility and a modern office and warehouse space for a new company in Frederick.
The Modern Masterpiece Award recognizes the unique challenges that older or historic properties present during a renovation, whether a historic structure that contributes to downtown revitalization or the re-positioning of an obsolete office or industrial property. The finalists are:
- The Firehouse project located at 12 West Church Street. Originally constructed as a Firehouse in mid-1800’s, converted to commercial offices in late 1990’s and recently purchased and renovated into a spectacular office building with several suites available.
- Monocacy Valley Cannery – ADTEK Engineering Project located at East and South Streets. This project involved renovating space for ADTEK Engineering. The owner took two interior spaces on different floors and connected them with a spiral staircase turning the space into a very hip, yet historic space in Downtown Frederick.
The Broker of the Year award recognizes individuals for outstanding professional successes and contributions in real estate transactions. Factors considered include total number of transactions, total square footage leased, total value of transactions in Frederick County as well as the individual’s giving back to the community. The finalists are:
- Brad Benna - Matan Companies
- Tony Checchia - VCRE
- Brandon Cannon - Ruppert Properties
Check back next month for an announcement on the FRED Award finalists for Deal of the Year, Emerging Dealmaker of the Year and Lifetime Achievement. To learn about previous winners visit http://www.discoverfrederickmd.com/fredawards.