The Frederick County Office of Economic Development (OED) worked with 184 companies in Fiscal Year 2018 who chose to locate or expand in Frederick County. The department helped to create 747 jobs and retain 976 existing jobs, representing more than $10M of capital investment to Frederick County.
Daly Computers, Asbury Communities, Wilcoxon Sensing Technologies, and Indivumed were among the companies to announce the move of their headquarters to Frederick County. Companies including Rainforest Distribution and Navistar Direct Marketing announced plans to form new divisions and move major operations to Frederick County as well.
Existing bioscience companies such as biotech giant Thermo Fisher Scientific, fast-growing companies VaLogic and Microbiology International, and bioscience business incubator graduates RoosterBio and Poochon Scientific, all increased their presence in Frederick County. Indivumed, a bioscience company with locations around the world, also established their U.S. headquarters in Frederick.
Local tech leaders Yakabod, Orases and Proposal Software (now RocketDocs) outgrew their existing spaces and moved into new custom-built spaces in FY 2018.
Companies in the construction industry such as TEI Electrical Solutions and Kensington Glass Arts now have major, expanded operations in Frederick County.
The County’s craft beverage industry also continues to flourish with the addition of Maryland’s first trifecta of craft beverages at Springfield Manor Winery, Brewery & Distillery. House Cat Brewing, Idiom Brewing and Midnight Run Brewing are the latest new additions to the craft brewery scene and Olde Mother Brewing who first established in 2015, recently expanded into a larger space in downtown Frederick.
Major New Company Locations
- Navistar Direct Marketing located with 250 jobs and occupies a 210K square foot space.
- Daly Computers announced a relocation from Clarksburg, MD bringing 80 jobs and occupying 70K square feet.
- Asbury Communities moved their corporate headquarters from Montgomery County to the Westview area bringing 120 jobs.
- Rainforest Distribution relocated their Mid-Atlantic Distribution Center to Frederick, occupying 28K square feet and creating 45 new jobs with plans to add 70 more by the end of 2018.
- High-tech manufacturer Wilcoxon Sensing Technologies announced the move of their headquarters from Germantown, MD to Riverside Technology Park, bringing 86 jobs, occupying 40K square feet.
- Indivumed has established their U.S. headquarters in Frederick, bringing 25 jobs over two years.
Major New Company Expansions
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, completing their second expansion in over 2 years and now at 450 employees in Frederick County, added 33 more employees in FY 2018 and expanded their presence into an additional 192K square feet.
- RoosterBio, a Frederick Innovative Technology Center, Inc (FITCI) graduate, moved their operations to Westview, fitting out 15K square feet and adding 25 new jobs. RoosterBio has grown from a 5 person company to a 25+ company in just a few years.
- Orases outgrew their space and built out a larger space at over 9K square feet, adding 4 new employees for a total of 24.
- Yakabod moved their headquarters from North Market St to an 11K square foot space in the Union Mills building and has 30 employees.
- Proposal Software merged and formed into RocketDocs, fitting out 5K square feet of space at the Frederick Innovative Technology Center, Inc (FITCI) growing from 10 employees to 20.
- VaLogic made a 15K square feet expansion and added 10 new jobs for a total of 21 with expectations of hiring 6 more by the end of the year.
- Microbiology International added 47K square feet to their footprint in Frederick County and 9 new jobs for a total of 35 employees.
- Poochon Scientific, a Frederick Innovative Technology Center, Inc (FITCI) graduate, grew by almost 3K square feet and added 4 employees for a total of 14.
- TEI Electrical Solutions with 115 employees, expanded their operations into 22K square feet.
- Kensington Glass Arts experienced tremendous growth and expanded into 35K square feet of space, bringing their total employment to 165.