Incentives & Taxes
Increase Your Bottom Line in Frederick County
As Maryland’s largest county by land area with 664 square miles, Frederick County has an abundance of prime commercial opportunities with a solid infrastructure already in place. Frederick County’s competitive tax structure, business-friendly climate and attractive local and state incentives make Frederick County the ideal place to do business. Frederick County is one of just a few elite counties across the U.S. with a AAA bond rating from all three agencies, the highest bond rating possible. This helps translate the financial health and stability in Frederick County.
Frederick County has ZERO Business Personal Property Tax
Frederick County’s Non-Residential Excise Tax is $0 for new buildings, new additions and accessory structures
Frederick County’s Real Property Tax Rate is $1.060 per $100 of assessed value and all other county business taxes are EXEMPT.
Fast Track Permitting can expedite your project through the development process. More details
- Tax Increment Financing (TIF) may be used to fund infrastructure for large projects with a required number of jobs and capital investment. Guidelines can be viewed at: TIF Policy Guidelines
State, Local and Redevelopment Tax Credits and Incentives are available for certain new and expanding businesses. More details
City of Frederick’s Grow Conditional Micro Grant program assists start-ups and small businesses in the City’s targeted industries with a 50:50 matching grant. More details
HUBZones (Historically Underutilized Business Zones) give small businesses Federal contracting preferences. Three are located in the City of Frederick, one in the Town of Emmitsburg and one in the City of Brunswick. For more information please click here.
Advantage Maryland (also known as MEDAAF) and Maryland Industrial Development Financing Authority (MIDFA) provides businesses and political jurisdictions financing capabilities that may be used for targeted industries and certain projects and parameters. Contact us to discuss your project details.
- Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy Loans (C-PACE) provides 100% up front capital to commercial property owners to implement building upgrades that save energy and lower operating costs. The loan is repaid through a long-term surcharge on the property tax bill that transfers with the sale of the property. More details
- Water and Sewer Capacity Leasing and Payment Plan Options are available to businesses who qualify. Manufacturing property owners or tenants may be eligible to lease water and sewer capacity in lieu of purchasing it for a term of no more than 20 years. A Water and Sewer Payment Plan Fund may be used to provide loans to certain commercial water and/or wastewater customers, to purchase Capacity Fees over a max term of 10 years. Contact us to learn more
- Project Restore provides financial support to Maryland’s small businesses and commercial developers reoccupying or investing in vacant commercial and retail space. More details
Neighborhood Business Works provides gap financing in one of six Sustainable Communities targeted for redevelopment in Frederick County’s older neighborhoods. More details
Facade Improvement Grants provide a business owner up to 50% in matching funds for the improvement of their facades (painting, awnings, lighting, signage, masonry/door/window repair) in designated Maryland Main Street communities. Contact us and find out if your location qualifies.
- PR Frederick offers existing businesses free marketing and a boost in search engine optimization (SEO). More details
- Business Pitch Services at ROOT are offered at no charge to businesses looking to attract investors and raise capital. More details
- Customized Training and Recruitment is available through the Maryland Department of Commerce and Frederick County Workforce Services. Contact us to learn more.