Frederick County is a leading biotechnology and life sciences community. Located in the northern anchor of I-270 Technology Corridor, it is ideally situated for bioscience firms to start, locate and expand.
Frederick County is home to one of the largest clusters of bioscience companies in Maryland.
100+ bio and life science companies, including global giants such as:
Fort Detrick – leading medical research center for the US Biological Defense Research Program
National Cancer Institute-Frederick and the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research
National Institutes of Health National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Disease (NIAID)
- #1 in NIH Research and Development Contract Awards
- #1 in the US for number of professional and technical workers
- #1 in Concentration of employed Doctoral Scientists
- 78 Federal Labs in Maryland
- From MD, 80% of the US Pharmaceutical industry is within a 2 hour drive
- MD is home to 2,360 Life Science companies, and the FDA, NIST, NIH, NCI and Frederick, MD has the 2nd largest cluster of Bioscience companies in MD
Bioscience Workforce and Education
Frederick County is home to one of the most highly educated workforces that provide companies with unparalleled human resource capabilities. Access to 3 quality higher education facilities ensure that an available biotechnology and life science workforce remains top-notch.
The County’s higher education institutions, with excellent biotechnology and life sciences options that have supported the growing need for higher education in the field.
In addition, Frederick County as part of Maryland have over 57 accredited colleges including:
Market Access and Infrastructure
Frederick is intersected by five interstate and national highways that offer the tremendous advantage of market access:
More than 1/3 of U.S. Population is within a day’s drive.
Close proximity to mayor cities and other major U.S. Pharma Cluster:
- Baltimore City – 1 hour
- Washington DC – 1 hour
- Philadelphia – 2 ½ hours
- New Jersey – 3 hours
- Research Triangle – 5 hours
Frederick County is within 50 miles of three international airports, a municipal airport and the Port of Baltimore:
- BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport
- Dulles Airport in Northern Virginia
- Reagan National Airport
- Frederick Municipal Airport (FDK) 2nd busiest general aviation airport in Maryland, provides corporate and chartered air service
- Port of Baltimore, the 3rd largest seaport in the United States
Frederick Innovative Technology Center, Inc (FITCI) offers biotech and life science entrepreneurs over 20,000 SF of space with 40 offices, 22 wet labs and state-of-the-art services geared towards accelerating biotech entrepreneurs. Since FITCI opened its doors in 2004, several clients have graduated thriving bioscience companies who have remained in Frederick County.
Frederick County, the City of Frederick and the state of Maryland may offer customized incentives for biotechnology and life sciences industries. Download a copy of Where Cultures Connect and please contact our office to learn more.
- No business personal property tax
- Fast Track Permitting
- Commercial and Industrial Business Tax Credit
- New Jobs/Enhanced New Jobs Tax Credit
- City of Frederick Grow Conditional Micro Grant
- Maryland Biotechnology Investment Incentive Tax Credit
- Maryland Research and Development Tax Credit
- Additional State of Maryland Incentives
- Maryland Technology Economic Development Corporation’s Technology Commercialization Fund