As Maryland’s largest agricultural County with the most number of farms and farmland acres, agriculture has far reaching effects on our economy and quality of life.
is a service of the Frederick County Office of Economic Development (FCOED)’s agriculture business development who focuses primarily on promoting agricultural opportunities and assisting agricultural businesses. Homegrown Frederick is a tool for farmers and citizens that promotes local agriculture and business in order to preserve the rich heritage of our County.
Agriculture Leader in Maryland
#1 in organic farms
#1 in turkey farms
#1 in agritourism farms
#1 acres for hay
1st cidery and meadery
1st farm brewery
Want to learn more about agriculture in Frederick County? Visit Homegrown Frederick for information on:
- Christmas Tree Farms
- Buy Local
- Farmers’ Markets
- Find Local Products
- Craft Beverages
- View Our Homegrown Frederick Magazine
Agriculture Business Support
The Agriculture Business Council is an appointed Board comprised of local agriculture industry professionals that suggests and implements new ways to preserve the ag-industry and proactively informs the County Executive, County Council and FCOED. The Agriculture Business Council meets the 4th Tuesday of every other month.
If you’re looking to start a new agribusiness or expand an existing one, the Frederick County Office of Economic Development can help. Contact our office for more information today to get started. Services available include:
- Liaison on behalf of the agriculture industry
- Promotion and education of agriculture
- Permitting and zoning assistance for agriculture businesses
- Development of business plans to start or expand agricultural businesses
Features include ‘Property Exchange’, to help landowners keep their farmland in production and assist farmers to find farmland for sale or lease. ‘Mentor Match’ which pairs experienced farmers with new or transitioning farm owners/operators for one-on-one training, advice and interaction for technical assistance in farm production. Farmer Exchange’ designed to facilitate discussion between farmers, and a ‘Job Board’ for posting full and part-time positions, seasonal internships, and apprenticeships. Experienced and beginner farmers will also find useful contact information for local, state, and national agencies and organizations.
- Frederick County Agriculture Innovation Grant
- Maryland Wineries and Vineyards Tax Credit
- Maryland Vineyard Planting and Hops Loan Fund
- Maryland Resource-Based Industry Financing Fund Loan
- Rural Business Equipment and Working Capital Loan Fund
- Maryland Value Added Producer Grants Program
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Intermediary Relending Program
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Rural Energy for America Program Grants