What project will be honored with winning the prestigious Deal of the Year? Who will be awarded the newly created award, Emerging Dealmaker of the Year? And, who will be awarded for their dedication and commitment for the Lifetime Achievement award?
These are just some of the questions that are being asked and will get revealed on April 11, 2019. The Frederick County Office of Economic Development will honor the commercial real estate industry with awards for deals and transactions made in 2018 that have made significant impacts on Frederick County’s economy during the Frederick County Real Estate Dealmakers (FRED) Awards.
According to Helen Propheter, Director of the Frederick County Office of Economic Development, “We are very excited to be announcing the FRED winners soon. Our award winners represent the very best of the best and they will not know that they are a winner until the night of the event. It will be a great night of suspense, celebration and cheer.”
Nominations were collected for six categories including Deal of the Year, Most Creative Deal and Modern Masterpiece as well as Broker of the Year, Emerging Dealmaker of the Year and Lifetime Achievement Award. In order to nominate a project or person, the commercial real estate deals must have been launched, underway or completed in 2018. All the projects must have made a significant impact on Frederick’s economy
Emerging Dealmaker of the Year is a new category this year. This award represents a real estate professional under the age of 40 who is considered a rising star in the industry. Some of the factors considered included significant professional achievements and community involvement, in addition to total square footage leased, total number of transactions, and total value of transactions in Frederick County. The finalists are:
- Brandon Cannon of Ruppert Properties
- Ashleigh Kiggans of MacRo Ltd.
- Chris Kline, Jr. of Frederick Commercial Real Estate
Lifetime Achievement is given to an individual who has devoted most of their career in the industry and has been an influential member, mentor and community advocate. The finalists are:
- Rick Farren of Cushman & Wakefield
- Chris Kline, Sr. of Kline Scott Visco
- Jonathan Warner of Warner Commercial
Deal of the Year is bigger than a real estate deal. This is the deal that has far reaching impacts on the community or economy. Factors that were considered included significant job creation, capital investment, size/square footage of the project, diversification of Frederick’s economy and community impact. The finalists are:
- Goodwill Monocacy Valley Expansion Project located at 6413 English Muffin Way. Goodwill established a 108,168 square foot e-commerce facility with an anticipated 150 jobs.
- Greenleaf Medical Project located at 6797 Bowman’s Crossing. As the first medical marijuana cultivation facility in the county, this 42,000square foot facility represents an $8m investment. Greenleaf employs 61 people at the facility and is expected to expand in 2019, increasing total employment to 100 and doubling the capacity of production.
- Kite Pharma Project located at 9021 Bennett Creek Boulevard. Kite Pharma purchased 20 acres in Urbana Corporate Center to build a 279,000 square foot office, laboratory and warehouse facility to manufacturer personalized oncology immunotherapy treatments.
For more information on last year’s award winners and finalists for this year’s Most Creative Deal of the Year, Modern Masterpiece Award and Broker of the Year, please visit Frederick County Office of Economic Development at www.discoverfrederickmd.com/fredawards.