While every business is unique, family-owned businesses of all sizes share common issues and considerations that apply primarily to this type of business. Whether you own a family business or work for one, you need to know all you can about issues such as:
- How to ensure a family legacy for your business
- How to do it right: transferring ownership of a family business to the next generation
- How to successfully integrate a Board of Directors with family members and others
- What to do when family-owned business owners don’t want to retire
- How to handle a family member who underperforms
- How to navigate the difficult but crucial succession planning conversations
- How family-owned businesses can manage work-life balance
- Selling the farm: when the next generation chooses another career path
- The “and Daughter” evolution of family businesses
- Beware the third generation: why family-owned businesses seem to die just two generations removed
The Frederick County Chamber of Commerce proudly debuts two new events. These events will provide attendees with actionable tools to improve your career and strengthen your business.
On Monday, November 6 at 7 pm at the Weinberg Center for the Arts, the Chamber and partner Northwestern Mutual-Frederick will host Chamber Talks: an evening presentation and discussion with the nation’s leading authority in family-owned business matters, Wayne Rivers, co-founder and President of the Family Business Institute. Rivers is an expert guest on NBC, MSNBC, CNBC and CNN, and is a popular blogger for the Wall Street Journal. He has written four books, and will present some highlights from his bestseller, “The Top Nine Reasons Family Businesses Fail – and the Eight Building Blocks for Creating a Sustainable Closely Held Business.”
This Chamber Talks event is open to all, and tickets are $10 in advance, $15 at the door. In addition, Northwestern Mutual-Frederick has purchased a block of tickets, which they are making available to the public for free while supplies last.
For those who would want to take a deeper dive into this topic, the Chamber is launching the Family-Owned Business Conference (THIS EVENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED UNTIL APRIL 2018) at Mount Saint Mary’s Frederick Campus, with a slate of presentations and workshops tailored to the needs of family-owned business owners, managers and board members. Family Business expert Wayne Rivers will be the keynote presenter with a different presentation than the one offered at the Weinberg.
Conference speakers also include Greg Vetter, CEO of Tessamae’s Fresh Food Company. The Vetter brothers launched the brand in 2009 at their local Whole Foods Market in Annapolis using a simple salad dressing recipe created by their mom. Their products are now also available in Kroger, Safeway, Target, WalMart and many other locations.
These experts will join several local family-owned business owners, who will be presenting on a variety of relevant topics.
A variety of event sponsorships are available.
For details about both the Family-Owned Business Conference and the Chamber Talks evening at the Weinberg, visit http://www.frederickchamber.org/family-business-conference.html
- November 6, 2017 / 8:00 AM — November 6, 2017 / 1:30 PM
- Mount St Mary's University-Frederick Campus
- 5350 Spectrum Drive Frederick, MD 21703