Frederick’s Tech Movement
Many high tech companies find Frederick County to be the right blend of hip and historic with a rising tide of technology companies like Regent Education, Blue Pillar, Fuge, 270net Technologies and Decisive Communications recently expanding in Frederick County. The advanced technology industry in Frederick County consists of high tech firms in information technology, telecommunications, web development, cyber security, consulting firms and more. Modern tech companies flourish in the historical settings of the County’s tech hub in downtown Frederick.
Tech Frederick is a consortium of IT business owners that was established in 2009 to promote collaboration and to look for ways to make Frederick County technology-friendly. Through Tech Frederick, Frederick County’s technology companies can benefit from free training and TechFrederick EARN program. Classes offered include: mobile application development, system administration, web design and development, business development and marketing automation.
The Frederick Innovative Technology Center, Inc (FITCI) offers high tech entrepreneurs over 20,000 SF of space with 35 offices and state-of-the-art services geared towards accelerating high tech entrepreneurs. In 2015, Frederick County announced plans to convert two vacant floors of a government building and extend FITCI to Downtown Frederick. The Downtown Innovation Center will support technology-specific start-ups.
Advanced Technology Facts
- 37.9% growth in high-tech companies from 2001-2013
- $1,174 average weekly wage per worker in the information sector
- $20M annual wages in the information sector
Advanced Technology Incentives
Frederick County, the City of Frederick and the state of Maryland may offer customized incentives for the advanced technology and high tech industries. Please contact our office to learn more.
- Frederick County Small Business Loan Guarantee
- New Jobs/Enhanced New Jobs Tax Credit
- City of Frederick’s Grow Conditional Micro Grant
- Maryland Cybersecurity Investment Incentive Tax Credit
- Maryland Innovation Initiative
- Additional State of Maryland Incentives
- Maryland Technology Economic Development Corporation’s Technology Commercialization Fund